INFORMATION AND EDUCATION
Information and Reference unit’s mandate is to disseminate information on the rights, responsibilities and obligations of telecom consumers with a view to enlightening and empowering consumers and other stakeholders in the industry. The unit is carrying out its responsibilities through the following projects;
- Outreach Programme
- Consumer Education Fact Sheet
- Translation of Educational Materials.
- CONSUMER OUTREACH PROGRAMMES
The dissemination of information to consumers is carried out through the unit’s projects including the outreach programmes. At the events, topical issues in the industry are discussed which help in the determination of issues requiring regulatory intervention. The outreach programmes are in three tiers and are carried out for the different strata of the society across the six geo-political zones of the country as outlined below.
- The first tier is the Telecom Consumer Parliament (TCP) being held quarterly in Lagos and Abuja. Thus there are four events in a year, plus an anniversary event making it five altogether.
- The second tier is the Consumer Outreach Programme (COP); this is held bi-monthly at major urban centers across the six geopolitical zones. There are six events in the year.
- The third and last tier outreach programme is the Consumer Town Hall Meeting (CTM); this is an empowerment programme for the rural dwellers and is held also bi-monthly at rural areas across the six geopolitical zones of the country. There are six events in the year.
At the TCP and COP events, the consumers come one on one with their requests and complaints many of which are eventually resolved on the spot and this helps in coming out with the issues requiring regulatory interventions. Many policies of the commission on the industry result directly from the proceedings at the events. However, the CTM empowers the consumers at the rural communities.
- CONSUMER EDUCATION FACTS SHEETS
Another platform for information dissemination to the industry is the production and distribution of Fact Sheets to consumers. This project is designed to further educate the consumers on the happenings in the industry. A number of Fact Sheets have been produced while new ones are being developed on burning and topical issues in the industry.
The following are some of the Fact Sheets already developed, printed and currently being distributed to consumers at the outreach events:
- Consumer Facts- Obligation of Service Providers to Nigerian Consumers of Telecoms Service.
- Procedure for lodging a Consumer Complaint.
- Consumer Bill of Rights.
- Safety tips for using your mobile while driving.
- Electromagnetic fields and Public Health Base Stations and Wireless Technologies.
- TRANSLATION OF CAB PUBLICATIONS INTO THREE MAIN NIGERIAN LANGUAGES (HAUSA, IGBO & YORUBA)
The translation of CAB publication was borne out of the need to eliminate the language barrier in consumer education and information. The purpose is to translate all CAB consumer education publications from English language to three Nigerian major languages (Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba) so as to enable these major local language groups participate in the development of the telecoms sector.
The fact sheets and other major educational materials are to be translated into the three main local languages, i.e Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba in line with the CAB mandate to provide information in a simple and clear language to all telecom consumers. The process for the translation of the fact sheets has already commenced.